The public sector can leverage the Internet of Things to reduce costs, improve delivery of services and engage citizens. Strategists in the vendor community should use this research to identify the addressable market sub-segments and then position solution offerings.
- Recent city programs demonstrate that the Internet of Things can help governments optimize costs and avoid waste.
- City governments and departments are looking to the Internet of Things to enable proactive maintenance and operations to achieve greater safety and effectiveness.
- Providers and governments generally do not include citizens in projects involving Internet of Things, leaving the potential of this large constituency untapped.
- Developments in Internet of Things that affect decision making can improve service delivery in sub-segments such as transportation and healthcare.
- Identify and stress the cost-saving benefits of Internet of Things solutions, which is IoT's most powerful message.
- Develop solutions with the highest-feasible levels of reliability and suitability for purpose.
- Invest in a reference client, and explore new pricing models for large projects to reduce the upfront capital expenditure costs to city government.
- Focus on transportation, utilities, and healthcare and infrastructure sub-verticals for their biggest impact.
"Gartner Internet of Things Can Help Public-Sector Services Reduce Costs and Engage Citizens"
Anurag Gupta | Jim Tully, July 29, 2014
To access the Gartner report “Internet of Things Can Help Public-Sector Services Reduce Costs and Engage Citizens,” please fill out the form on the right.